Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Introduction

There is a small following on Blogger for alternate rock albums and histories. Amidst them, there's Uncle Dan's What If - Misc. that tackles his Melancholia series, as well as Half-Off which reduces double albums like The Wall or Quadrophenia into single albums. Paul's Albums That Should Exist fills gaps in many artists' discographies. AEC of Albums Back from the Dead comes up with albums that never actually existed. Scott G comes up with Alternate Albums and More, and The Reconstructor goes for interesting approaches when it comes to alternate albums. In addition, we have Albums Forgotten Reconstructed, Albums I Wish Existed, and LP RE-construction Discussion, as well as a discontinued blog known as Album Fixer. None of them would have happened without soniclovenoize's Albums That Never Were, but even before that, Uncle Dan wrote up his own alternate Beatles story back in 2009/2010.

But where does the story of Strawberry Peppers fall into all of this? Well, taking inspiration from the aforementioned blogs, as well as a website called Alternate History, I'd begun to shape an alternate universe Beatles story where in the 1970s, they split into two groups with Paul on one side and John, George and Ringo on the other. The genesis of that came from a playlist I'd intended to be a one-off called A Night at the Rock Show, which drew from Paul's Venus and Mars album from 1975, as well as the lead vocal tracks by Brian May ("'39," "Good Company") and Roger Taylor ("I'm in Love with My Car") from Queen's A Night at the Opera. But eventually, it grew to become a timeline all in its own, and the rest, as you'll soon see, is history. Alternate history, that is.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Strawberry Peppers.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club. Always nice to have another perspective. Looking forward to checking things out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan. I will say there are going to be twists that some people won't agree with, but of course, some disbelief will have to be suspended.

      Delete
    2. I like the story format. I used that for my Beatles blog and it worked out fine. Although I initially posted things as I did them I eventually took it all down and reposted in reverse chronological order for a smoother read. I like a ggod story and yours is shaping up.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again. Right now, I've got twenty chapters lined out (so far, two have been posted) to take us all the way to 1970. A lot of the time, as a minor spoiler, I'll be drawing some parallels to the original timeline.

      Delete